This is a great German recipe for potato dumplings. It makes a excellent side dish.
- 9 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Drain water, and place potatoes into a large bowl. Mash potatoes, leaving them slightly lumpy (just like making mashed potatoes). Mix in the salt, eggs, flour, 2/3 cup of bread crumbs, and nutmeg. Roll into walnut sized balls. If the dough is too sticky, you may want to mix in more flour or bread crumbs.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Gently drop the dumplings into the water. When they come up to the surface, allow them to boil uncovered for 3 minutes. Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon, and keep warm.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are tender, and the sauce has thickened some. Pour sauce over the dumplings before serving.
Excellent recipe for a side dish. Serve with your favorite sauce and grab our elegant black bamboo picks for a style.